We are currently in the process of decorating my daughters bedroom and even though its nowhere near finished I’ve already started making those finishing touches.
Myself and daughter sat down together and made this very sweet metal beaded heart that she plans to hang above her bed. Its very shabby chic and has been created using different beads, buttons, ribbon and more.
Here’s a round up of the items we used to create our heart and what you’ll need to create one of your very own.
Selection of beads
Selection of sequins
Selection of buttons
Wired gingham red and white ribbon
Selection of ribbon ( 3 colours)
Thin craft wire
2x mini craft pegs
Pair of wire cutters or sharp scissors
Extra strong glue dots.
Step 1 Choose your beads buttons and ribbon. Cut enough wire to make a medium sized hanging heart and bend in half so you have the point of your heart and two equal size sides. start treading on the different items. Really mix things up. Big buttons and small beads in no particular order look great.
2. Thread different items on each side of the wire but make sure one side isn’t more heavy than the other. Shape your heart as you go.
3. Bead just a little over half way on each side. Then take some more wire and wrap it around the remaining memory wire to make the top of your heart stronger.
4. Now join the two ends together by twisting them therefore making the top of your heart shape.
5. Wrap some thin ribbon around the exposed wire and tie into a knot. This will cover shape pieces of wire if there is any.
6. Now cover that ribbon with thick wired gingham red ribbon securing with an extra strong glue dot. This wired ribbon will make the top of your heart extra strong and very shabby looking.
7. Randomly add different pieces of ribbon to your heart, tying them in random areas and leaving them to dangle down from your heart.
8. Hang more buttons or beads to the heart by attaching them with the thinner craft wire.
9. Tie a bow at the top of your heart with some ribbon, adding some buttons to the middle with thin craft wire.
10. Now, cut some red string (I got mine from Ikea) and attach to the top of your heart with your two little wooden craft pegs.
Its now ready to hang.
These are great and there are so many designs you could make either by adding different items or even creating different shapes with your memory wire.
These would also make great little valentines gifts and are suitable for older children to make alone.
For bigger hearts with heavier embellishments use florist wire. This is strong but still easy to shape.