A few months back I grabbed some of these large paper mâché box style bags from my local Hobbycraft.
I was instantly drawn to them with a host of different uses and craft activities accumulating in my mind! The fact that they were reduced a little in price also made these all the more desirable.
My plan… To make storage bags that if desired, could be hung freeing up more space. The size of these boxes are perfect for makeup, craft essentials and more besides.
They look really pretty once complete, tying in with the whole shabby chic theme I’ve got going on.
Paper Mâché Box Bags (Hobbycraft)
(I created a set of 3)
Decorative Paper (pattern/design to suit)
Mod Podge Clear Gloss
White Acrylic Paint
White String (ribbon or twine works well)
Strip of Ivory Lace (enough to cover around the bottom of box)
Faux Pearl Bracelet (big enough to go over box)
Paint & Glue Brushes
Here’s a demonstration on how to create these box bags.
1) First use a paint brush to give your box a few coats of white paint (just to ensure the darkness of the paper mâché isn’t seen through your paper)!
2) Use scissors to remove paper handles.
3) section by section apply mod podge to your box and cover with your paper. Press firmly to remove air bubbles or make some tiny hole pricks with a pin. Be sure to apply the mod podge over the top of the paper as well as the box.
4) Once covered reveal the 4 handle holes on your box by penetrating with a sharp pencil.
5) with mod podge run your ivory lace around the button of your box. Remember to add mod podge over the top of the material also.
6) Now take your faux pearl bracelet and place it over your covered box so that the bracelet sits around the middle.
7) Cut 2 pieces of white string or other. Now thread through holes one side to the other. Tie in a knot to secure.
Now simply fill with treasure, display on a dresser or hang from hooks for a great storage solution.